Saturday, July 14, 2012


Its a friday morning,
Friday, the day when people suddenly become happy for some unknown reason. Do they actually have a plan for the next two days? Well for me, I have to say yes to that. I will be working on a business journal which will contain a detailed report on the strategies to counter any future economic financial crisis, and also I am planning a visit the island I am contemplating to buy.Besides this,I also have to take care of the meetings with BOG's.Life has been like this since the time I have been appointed as the CEO, the adrenaline flow never seemed to subside and i enjoy every bit of it. As they say, life always seems fair when you have more or less everything, which includes a beach house, a yacth, a sports car and some of the world most sophisticated gadgets.

As I reached near my office elevator, I realized that I have an important meeting in ten minutes with one of the top notch clients. The elevator door opened as i rushed in, I saw a old man standing there. He was wearing a black trouser and a blue jacket which had a badge on it . "Elevator Man", I told myself.He had a quite a bit of wrinkles on his face and had lost almost all his hair which would otherwise have appeared white. His eyes were black and he was wearing large blue framed glasses to cover them up.As I took a sip of my coffee, I suddenly started having a feeling of the old man being familiar. Though I haven't seen him earlier for sure,he reminded me of someone. Someone who has always inspired me, someone who has unanimously considered as the original with me being the xerox copy, someone who has made me what I am today, my dad.From the time I remember, I always looked upon him for almost all aspect of my life. I however don't know the kind of relationship we shared.We would sit together and discuss about women and politics whenever we got a chance. My dad is a retired army colonel and ego comes as a gift with this job. For sometime recently family issues have vandalized what we had between us.The last we conversed, he asked me to grow up and cut off the phone. Now we don't talk, (atleast not the way we used to.) neither we give a damn, and we have somehow accepted this to be the way of life.I miss him and I know he does too but then.....

As the elevator was approaching my office at the topmost 30th floor, the old man said in a soft voice,"Son, your shoelaces". I looked at him, then at the shoes and then again at him. I wanted to tie them,but frankly i don't tie shoelaces, not because its absurd but because I didn't know how to do so. I had to pretend liked I always do, so I signaled my briefcase in one hand and coffee in another accompanied with want-to-but-can't face. He smiled and said,"let me help you" and within a fraction of second he was tying them. Now, normally I would have hesitated and probably step back a bit,but there was a sadist and innocent smile on my face as i was mesmerized with a revisit to one of the best moments of my childhood. My dad always used to tie my shoelaces when he was around, and this is the very obvious  reason why I never learnt to tie them. I got very nostalgic and somehow wanted to see the expression on the old man's face, but he was totally focused on his work. After he was done, he stood up and repositioned his blazer. I looked at him and said "Thank You".He didn't say anything. Then I looked at the display and it read "00". "Zero, that is very weird considering the lift has been moving up for a quite some time ". I asked myself. This time I looked at him, he smiled and said in a very calm voice."Take him with you to the island tomorrow, he will love it so will you".

My eyes opened. It was friday morning and I was still on my bed. Without any second thoughts, I jumped off  my bed and made a call "Morning,how are you?Hey, just wanted to ask, will you accompany me for a yacht ride tomorrow?I need your advice on an investment." Once done with this, I made one more call."Please deliver your best single malt by today evening in my office, Thank you"

No comments: